Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Shadows and Light

"My soul is full of whispered song;
My blindness is my sight;
The shadows that I feared so long
are all alive with light."
~ Alice Cary




It's been a rough day. Lab meeting followed by setting up another big experiment combined with me accidentally flooding the growth chamber (and now having to fight to remove clogs from the drains in the floor). Add in the fact the Beats were up at 4:30 am playing together in bed instead of sleeping (and we push transitioning to toddler beds because???) and the heartbreaking news from our old neighborhood today (our hearts are with those business owners who we love so dear and the firefighters injured) and I'm done.

To help stave off some of the anxiety from this week, yesterday I took a detour through the museum. For a long time, I've forgotten why I loved science and decided to pursue a career. My first time in the museum helped it all come back, with the wonder of life all on display. Now, in those moments when things seem unclear, I wander through the displays taking in the exhibits that have become familiar.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry it was a rough one...your detour into the museum is a reminder to reconnect with what drives our curiosity and passion.

    p.s.I had that same experience talking to an investigative reporter today. I was reminded that I am a seeker of truth and value those who make a living shining light into dark places. Not surprisingly I am more eager than ever to watch Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry it's been a rough day. The museum seems like such a peaceful place to go and collect your thoughts and go back to your roots as a scientist. The hummingbird display looks amazing (if slightly disturbing). I love that your familiar haunting grounds are what looks like a natural history museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rough days all around. Sending hugs lady and thanks for taking time out of your rough day to send me some love and support...I cannot thank you enough....happy you found a place to find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that a museum is your happy place, even as I'm sad that you needed one. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why does it always seem like everything hits at once? I love these pictures, though... seems like the perfect place to go and recalibrate.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved