Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Episode 14: Donor Egg

Happy Wednesday, everyone! Take a break and catch the latest episode of Bitter Infertiles here. You can also find us at the website, Twitter  and by subscribing to iTunes.

This week, our special guest Beth helps us tackle another important topic: Donor Egg. An important topic shrouded with misconceptions and misunderstanding. Thank you Beth for taking the time to talk with us! And I hope that this upcoming cycle results in a healthy and happy pregnancy.

This episode is loaded with interesting information but the part that stuck out for me was Beth sharing with us her journey to date and how she had been diagnosed with unexplained infertility. That despite her FSH and AMH levels coming back in the normal range, her response to the meds only resulted in 1-3 embryos, resulting in a diagnosis of poor egg quality. Truthfully, I'm still a bit confused, as I always assumed that FSH and AMH (especially AMH) were able to assess this. So, for me, it calls into question whether these are truly ways to assess or if IVF is all the more diagnostic for this purpose. If anyone has answers, please fill me in!


3 comments:

  1. My levels have always been quite good too but yet I only produced one embryo each IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure but my understanding, at least of the AMH number, is that it provides information on quantity rather than quality. I'd always been told that the only real way to know about egg quality was to go through the IVF process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is incredibly surprising to me as well, and I guess I don't fully understand either? I would think with normal numbers, they would be able to get more than 3 eggs? Either way, I can't imagine dealing with unexplained... the absence of answers would probably drive me crazy. My heart definitely aches for all the women who have to deal with this without having any idea WHY.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved